How to Buy a Garbage Disposal
There are many reasons for buying a garbage disposal. Many people buy them to help keep their kitchen cleaner and to reduce the amount of trash bound for landfills.
When shopping for a disposal, it is interesting to know that there are basically only four manufacturers who make virtually all of the garbage disposals. And In-Sink-Erator has over 75% market share under several brand names.
Shown above, KitchenAid disposal (left) and Viking disposal (right)
- Continuous Feed - Easy to use, just push waste down. May be more dangerous in households with children. Bones can fly out if you don't use the stopper when turning on.
- Batch Feed - Must load with waste before turning on. Then turn down stopper to start the motor.
- Septic System Models - Some models have special cartridges that release a chemical to help break down food waste. The cartridges must be change every 3-6 months. These are only required for homes with septic systems that are near their waste capacity.
- Horsepower - 1/3 can handle soft wastes such as vegetables. If you plan to be a heavy user / or put in more difficult foods such as chicken bones, consider a ¾ or 1 hp.
- Fineness - Different unit provide different chopping levels of waste.
- Auto-Reverse Mode - reverses chopping blades to clear waste jams
- Warrantee Time - typically range from 1 to 10 years.
- Warrantee Coverage - some cover parts and in-home labor, some just parts.
How to Choose
The right model of disposal depends upon what type of user you will be:
- If you are a light user of sink disposal, almost any brand will do. Compare prices and warrantees
- If you are a heavy user, consider a unit with a larger horse power and an auto-reverse feature
- If noise-level is a concern, you may want to consider the Viking model.
Whichever type of user you are, be sure to read and understand the warrantee before making your purchase
Please see our other Buying Articles
Life Insurance |
Swim Spas |
Hair Loss Treatments |
Replacement Windows |
Vacuum Cleaners |
Miter Saws |
DVD Players |
eBuyingguides is committed to providing unbiased buying guides and buying advice. Please note, our star ratings of where to buy garbage disposals rank websites by breadth of product offer, usability of sites, and overall organization and presentation. eBuyingGuides will also include information about customer feedback and complaints if available.